Chad Stahelski, renowned for directing the “John Wick” series, has shown interest in directing a “Star Wars” film, offering a fresh perspective to the iconic franchise:
- Stahelski’s Interest in Star Wars: Expressed a desire to bring his unique filmmaking style to the Star Wars universe.
- Balancing Personal Vision: Known for his distinctive action sequences in John Wick, Stahelski seeks to maintain his creative vision within the Star Wars framework.
- Creative Control in John Wick: His work on “John Wick: Chapter 4” showcases a high degree of personal input, a rarity in large franchises.
- Disney’s Diverse Director Roster: Disney and Lucasfilm’s openness to various directors for Star Wars projects, including Taika Waititi and Rian Johnson.
- Potential Future Collaboration: The possibility of Stahelski directing a Star Wars film remains an exciting prospect for fans and the industry.
A New Vision for Star Wars from the Director of John Wick
Chad Stahelski, the acclaimed director behind the “John Wick” franchise, has expressed a keen interest in taking on a new challenge: directing a film in the iconic “Star Wars” universe. Known for his distinctive style in action filmmaking, Stahelski’s potential entry into the Star Wars realm has sparked excitement and curiosity among fans.
Balancing Personal Vision with Franchise Expectations
In a conversation with Josh Horowitz, Stahelski revealed his deep admiration for “Star Wars,” citing the original film as a life-changing experience. Despite his preference for creating films with his own vision and ruleset, the director expressed his desire to bring his unique take to the Star Wars universe. I’m a Star Wars guy,” Stahelski said. “Maybe someday out there, Disney if you’re listening, hit me in a couple of years. I have a couple of takes for Star Wars. I’d take a swing at that, see if Disney could survive me.”
The John Wick Experience
Stahelski’s work on “John Wick: Chapter 4” exemplifies his commitment to personal filmmaking, with the director estimating that 96% to 97% of the film is his own. This level of creative control is rare in the industry, especially within large franchises. Stahelski’s success with the John Wick series, known for its intense action sequences and unique storytelling, demonstrates his ability to bring fresh perspectives to established genres.
The Allure and Challenge of Star Wars
While Stahelski acknowledges the compromises involved in working within a massive franchise like Star Wars, part of him is still drawn to the challenge. He compares the opportunity to Rocky’s desire to know if he can take on the best, highlighting his competitive spirit and eagerness to test his skills in new arenas.
Disney’s Openness to Diverse Directors
Disney and Lucasfilm have shown a willingness to bring in a variety of directors to helm Star Wars projects, including Dave Filoni, James Mangold, Sharmeen-Obaid Chinoy, and Taika Waititi. Rian Johnson, director of “Star Wars: Episode 8 – The Last Jedi,” is also working on a trilogy, though it’s not in active development.
Conclusion: A Potential Future Collaboration
The possibility of Chad Stahelski directing a Star Wars film remains an exciting prospect. His unique approach to action and storytelling could offer a fresh and thrilling perspective to the Star Wars universe. As Disney continues to expand the franchise with diverse creative talents, fans eagerly await to see if Stahelski will indeed get his chance to “take a swing” at Star Wars.