The guys over at Capital Games has posted a new developer insight. This time they are talking with the designers of The Ninth Sister, formerly a Jedi known as Masana Tide, is coming to the holotables to reinforce the Inquisitorius!
Below, we take a dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this fan-favorite Jedi: Fallen Order character.
UNIT NAME: Ninth Sister
ALIGNMENT: Dark Side
CATEGORIES: Tank, Leader, Inquisitorius, Empire, Unaligned Force Userr
A ruthless member of the feared Inquisitorius who will stop at nothing in her hunt for the Jedi.
Basic: TOO EASY
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy. Then, deal Physical damage again, dealing 40% more damage. Inflict 1 stack of Purge (max: 6) on target enemy for the rest of the encounter. If the target is a Jedi, this inflicts a second stack of Purge and can’t be resisted.
Special 1: NOT WORTH MY TIME (Cooldown 4)
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage and consume all stacks of Purge on target enemy. For each stack of Purge removed, inflict that many Damage Over Time effects on target enemy for 1 turn and Ninth Sister gains that many Heal Over Time effects for 1 turn. If the target is a Jedi, dispel all of their buffs.
Special 2: GROUND POUND (Cooldown 4)
FINAL TEXT (ZETA): Deal Physical damage to all enemies and inflict Daze, Defense Down, and Potency Down for 2 turns, which can’t be resisted by Jedi. Ninth Sister gains Taunt for 2 turns. For each enemy inflicted with Purge and damaged by this ability, Ninth Sister gains 10% Defense (stacking, max 50%) for 2 turns.
Leader: CAN’T STOP THE EMPIRE
FINAL TEXT (ZETA/OMICRON): Allies are immune to Speed limiting effects. Whenever an enemy gains bonus Turn Meter, all Inquisitorius allies gain 2% Potency and 2% Tenacity (stacking) for the rest of the encounter. If that enemy is a Jedi, they have a 50% chance to gain a stack of Purge (max: 6) until the end of the encounter.
While in Territory Wars: All Empire allies gain 20% Defense and all Inquisitorius allies are immune to Ability Block and Stun.
Unique: IT’S JUST A SCRATCH
FINAL TEXT: For each other Empire ally present at the start of battle, Ninth Sister gains 5% Defense, Max Health, and Tenacity; these effects are doubled for Inquisitorius allies. Each time another Empire ally is damaged by a critical hit, she gains Taunt and 50% Critical Avoidance for 1 turn, and Empire allies gain 20% Critical Avoidance for 1 turn. If the ally is also an Inquisitorius, Ninth Sister recovers 5% Health.
- Ninth Sister will interact with Purge in both an active and passive capacity.
- Her Too Easy Basic and Not Worth My Time Special abilities work actively.
- Her Can’t Stop the Empire Leader and Ground Pound Special abilities work passively. More on these below.
- Ninth Sister is very much a tank unit. She works well with Empire units such as Mara Jade for now, but will work best with Inquisitors units in the future.
- Her abilities focus on making hers and her squad more durable.
- Ninth Sister’s kit also has a build-and-spend component, which will see her gaining power over the course of battle in order to cash in for some big swings in momentum.
- Ninth Sister applies Purge via her Basic ability (double stacks on Jedi enemies).
- Under her Leader ability, when Jedi enemies gain Turn Meter, they also have a chance to gain Purge.
- Ninth Sister uses Purge to apply Damage Over Time to enemies and Heal Over Time to herself via her Not Worth My Time Special ability. She also has an Area of Effect (AOE) in her Ground Pound Special ability, as well as Defense stacking depending on number of enemies.
- If she is in the Leader slot, Ninth Sister’s team can gain immunity to Speed limiting effects.
- The inspiration for Ninth Sister’s abilities are taken from her appearance in Jedi: Fallen Order. More specifically, from her fight with Cal Kestis on Kashyyyk. The ability names were also taken primarily from her appearance in JFO.
- Visually, Ninth Sister’s fighting style doesn’t feel as fast or as graceful as Second Sisters, but she still had some unique moves that we really wanted to highlight in her abilities. She’s ruthless and brutal but her control is astounding
- Getting to know Ninth Sister through her comic book appearances and her lore really made her out to be an individual who has suffered a significant amount of loss, both physically in terms of her limbs and mentally/emotionally in regards to her separation from the Jedi Order, but who channels that loss in a way that she feels makes herself stronger. She’s the epitome of ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’.
- Overall her kit design plays heavily into the idea that Ninth Sister was an almost unstoppable force, and the ways that she interacts with the Purge mechanic further her and her team’s ability to survive and complete their mission – to purge the galaxy of Jedi scum.
- Ninth Sister is an Inquisitorius tank. Use her accordingly.
- The Speed limiting immunity provided by her Leader ability makes her strong against Jedi Knight Luke teams.
- Ninth Sister’s Territory Wars-focused Omicron ability will make Inquisitors stronger via their immunity to Ability Block and Stun.
- Eventually, Ninth Sister will have a home as part of a dedicated Inquisitorius squad. For now, try Mara Jade, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine and Second Sister.
- Instead of focusing the Purge effect on a single target, try to apply Purge to as many opponents as possible. This will allow Ninth Sister to capitalize on her stacking Defense bonuses that she receives via her Ground Pound Special ability.
- Who is Ninth Sister?
- Has the functionality of Jedi Knight Luke’s Speed limiting ability changed?, Or is it that Ninth Sister’s Leader ability mitigates the Speed limiting?
- Does Ninth Sister have a Legacy tier in her Marquee?