A lot of people are talking about Star Wars: Squadrons right now, which brings up another interesting topic: Star Wars combat games throughout history.
Zack Zwiezen from Kotaku decided to just that. He has a ranking here of the best to worst Star Wars combat games. As soon as I saw the headline, I knew I needed to check it out and see if I agreed with his ranking.
I have played every single one of these games – some of them many times over – so I was interested to see how he ranked them.
Keep in mind that this is not a ranking of all Star Wars games, but specifically Star Wars games that feature space combat, Star Destroyers, and other themed combat elements.
So, ready to see his ranking? From worst to best, here’s how he lined them up:
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault (1993) | PC, Sega CD, 3DO, PS1
- Star Wars: Rebel Assault II (1995) | PC, PS1, Mac
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (2003) | GameCube
- Star Wars Starfighter (2001) | Xbox, PS2, PC
- Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo (2000) | N64, PC
- Star Wars Jedi Starfighter (2002) | PS2, Xbox
- Star Wars Battlefront II (2017) | PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (1985) | Arcade
- Star Wars (1983) | Arcade
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter (1997) | PC
- Star Wars Battle Pod (2014) | Arcade
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (1998) | N64, PC
- Star Wars: Squadrons (2020) | PS4, Xbox One, PC
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (2001) | GameCube
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance (1999) | PC
- Star Wars: X-Wing (1993) | PC
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (1994) | PC
TIE Fighter definitely earned its top spot. What about the rest of the rankings?
Overall, I mostly agree. There are a few I may have swapped here and there, but that’s mostly for personal preferences. His reasoning supports his choices. Check out the link if you want to read more and see why he ranked them how he did.
Now let’s hear from you. What’s your favorite Star Wars space combat game?