The guys over at Capital Games has posted a new developer insight. This time they talk about Darth Malgus, the scourge of The Old Republic. To help celebrate the 10th anniversary of Star Wars The Old Republic, we’ve collaborated with Bioware Austin to bring you this brand new Leader for the Sith Empire.
BASIC: Unfettered Rage (Zeta)
Final Text: Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 50% chance to attack again, doubled if the target is a Jedi. On the second attack, Darth Malgus gains 20% Max Health (stacking, max 100%) until the end of the encounter. These attacks can’t be countered or evaded. Sith Empire allies gain Critical Damage Up for 2 turns.
SPECIAL 1: Deprive Senses (Omicron) (Cooldown 3)
Final Text: Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Blind and Shock for 2 turns. If the target was already Shocked, Shock all enemies for 2 turns and inflict Ability Block on the target enemy for 2 turns. Darth Malgus Taunts for 2 turns.
While in Grand Arenas: Debuffs inflicted by this ability can’t be resisted, and Sith Empire allies gain Critical Chance Up for 2 turns. If the target was already Shocked, deal true damage to all other enemies and Darth Malgus gains 50% Turn Meter.
SPECIAL 2: Dark Deception (Zeta) (Cooldown 4)
Final Text: Deal true damage to target enemy equal to 40% of Darth Malgus’ Max Health and inflict Doubt on them for 2 turns. If Darth Malgus is in the Leader slot and not the ally slot, this Doubt can’t be resisted. Increase target enemy’s cooldowns by 1, which can’t be resisted. Darth Malgus gains Protection Up (20%) and additional Protection Up (5%, stacking) for each debuff on each ally for 2 turns.
Doubt: Can’t gain bonus Turn Meter or buffs or recover Protection
Leader – Legacy of Power (Omicron)
Final Text: Sith Empire allies are immune to Turn Meter reduction. For each Sith Empire ally at the start of battle (excluding summoned allies), Sith Empire allies have +10% Critical Chance and Max Health and +10 Speed.
The first time any other ally falls below 50% Health, at the end of that turn all enemies are inflicted with Fear for 1 turn, which can’t be dispelled, evaded, or resisted.
Darth Malgus is immune to Stun and Fear. Whenever Doubt expires from an enemy, Sith Empire allies gain a stack of We Have Returned for 4 turns, which can’t be copied, dispelled, or prevented.
We Have Returned: +5% Critical Damage and Offense per stack
While in Grand Arenas: Sith Empire allies have +50% Mastery, +30 Speed, and +80% Critical Avoidance and damage they receive is decreased by 15%. Whenever a Sith Empire ally is inflicted with a debuff, they recover 10% Health and Protection. Whenever Doubt is dispelled on an enemy, that enemy is inflicted with Expose for 2 turns, which can’t be resisted. While enemies are inflicted with Doubt, they have -20% Speed, -20% Tenacity, and -30% Critical Damage.
At the start of battle, if all allies are Sith (excluding summoned allies), Darth Malgus gains an additional 50% Max Health and Max Protection and 60 Speed. At the start of battle, Darth Malgus recovers 100% Health and Protection.
UNIQUE: Korriban’s Legacy (Omicron)
Final Text: At the start of battle, Darth Malgus gains 5% Max Health and Max Protection for each other Sith ally, and 10% Max Health and Max Protection for each other Sith Empire ally. Darth Malgus takes reduced damage from percent Health damage effects, is immune to Healing Immunity, and while debuffed, gains 10% Defense and Health Steal. While Darth Malgus is Taunting, he has +60% counter chance, +20% Defense, and -20% Tenacity.
If all allies were Sith at the start of battle: At the start of each encounter Darth Malgus Taunts for 2 turns. Whenever Doubt expires on an enemy, that enemy is inflicted with Fear for 1 turn. The first time each turn Doubt is dispelled on an enemy, two random enemies who didn’t already have it are inflicted with Doubt for 2 turns at the end of that turn. These debuffs can’t be resisted.
While in Grand Arenas: If all allies were Sith at the start of battle: Instead, the first time each turn Doubt is dispelled on an enemy, all other enemies that didn’t already have it are inflicted with Doubt for 2 turns at the end of that turn, which can’t be resisted.
Question: The lead omicron for Malgus says for each SE ally at the start of battle, SE Allies gain +10% Crit Chance, Max Health, and +10 speed, does Malgus include himself?
Questions: Does doubt function like a normal debuff? If so, and it could theoretically be removed via an ability from Malgus’ team like culling blade, does that count as an ‘expiration’ or a ‘dispel’?
Answer: Yes, Doubt functions as a normal debuff and an ability like “Culling Blade” would count as a Dispel”
Question: Does Doubt stack?
- Sith Empire Leader who is a resilient tank with Sith and Sith Empire synergies and benefits from debuffs
- Omicrons focus on Grand Arena where he will showcase his true potential
- Introduces one new buff and debuff to the game
- Earnable through Conquest
- New Debuff – Doubt: Can’t gain bonus Turn Meter or buffs or recover Protection
- New Buff – We Have Returned – +5% Critical Damage and Offense per stack (Only for Sith Empire allies)
- Darth Malgus and his allies benefit from being debuffed
- Has ability to challenge Galactic Legends in Grand Arena
- Has strong synergy with Max Health
- Punishes the enemy if they dispel Doubt by causing it to spread among their allies
- We took a ton of inspiration from his role in Star Wars: The Old Republic. In that game he’s a major antagonist and we based his abilities off things he does in the game as well as the various cinematic depictions like Deceived.
- Darth Malgus’ animations are patterned after the attacks we see him utilize in those cinematics. We leaned heavily on his imposing presence and raw physical strength.
- Darth Malgus has always been aspirational and believes he should be ruling the Sith during the times of The Old Republic, and thus we felt him having a very strong leader ability was thematically appropriate.
- Mods: Defense + Health; Health + Health + Health
- Darth Malgus synergizes best with other Sith characters, even more so if they’re part of the Sith Empire
- Powerful Grand Arena Championship character
- Doubt brings with it a slew of negative effects for its target while Darth Malgus is present especially while he’s in the leader slot. However, when dispelled, Malgus ensures Doubt will continue to wreak havoc on the enemy by causing it to spread to new targets, ensuring nobody faces him with confidence
- If you’re subjected to Doubt it’s best to let it expire naturally, otherwise it will continue to spread among your allies
Will Darth Malgus take over as leader in other modes besides GAC?
He will be in his prime with his Omicrons while inside Grand Arena, but he is a capable and deadly leader outside of it as well
If I defeat a character with Doubt, will it spread to others?
In this case it expires and is not dispelled, so it will not spread.