The guys over at Capital Games has posted a new developer insight. This time they are talking with the designers of Dash Rendar. The beloved train-hopping, shoulder-pad adorned hero of legendary lore is ready to lead a motley crew of Scoundrels into the Grand Arena gauntlet!
Below, we take a deep dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this fan-favorite Shadows of the Empire character.
UNIT NAME: Dash Rendar
ALIGNMENT: Light Side
CATEGORIES: Light Side, Support, Leader, Scoundrel
Charismatic Scoundrel Leader who gives Scoundrel allies Prepared.
Basic: FEARLESS ADVANCE
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage 3 times to target enemy. For each critical hit, call another random Prepared ally to assist, dealing 75% less damage (limit once per ally).
Special 1: STOP RIGHT THERE! (Cooldown 2)
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy and dispel all buffs on them. Then, Stun them for 1 turn. This attack deals 20% more damage for each buff dispelled.
Special 2: SEEKER MISSILES (Cooldown 4) – Unlocks at Gear Tier 3
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage 3 times to all enemies. The first instance of damage dispels Stealth and Dazes for 2 turns, the second instance of damage inflicts Defense Down for 2 turns, and the third instance of damage inflicts Critical Damage Down for 2 turns. This attack can’t be evaded or resisted.
Leader: PREPARED FOR ANYTHING
FINAL TEXT (OMICRON): Scoundrel allies enter the battle Prepared, and Prepared allies gain an additional bonus based on their Role, doubled for Light Side Scoundrels. Whenever a Scoundrel ally gains Prepared, they gain Critical Damage Up and Offense Up for 1 turn.
- Attacker: +15% Critical Damage
- Tank: +15% Max Health
- Support or Healer: +10 Speed and 10% Potency
While in Grand Arena: If an ally loses Prepared, they gain Prepared.
FINAL TEXT (ZETA): Scoundrel allies gain 20% Max Health, 20% Potency, and 20% Offense. Whenever a Prepared ally lands a critical hit, all Prepared allies gain 2% Turn Meter.
- Light Side, Support, Leader, Scoundrel
- Dash Rendar plays a key role in the “Prepared” Scoundrel squad, as he helps lift the faction to a new level (especially in Grand Arena once his Omicron is applied).
- His Leader ability, “Prepared for Anything,” gives bonuses to all Prepared Scoundrel allies.
- Dash speeds up a Scoundrel team via his Unique ability, “Hotshot,” which grants Turn Meter to Prepared allies when they land a Critical hit.
- This means Dash’s Special ability “Seeker Missiles” – which hits three times – gains Turn Meter for each Critical hit if he has Prepared. Speedy!
- Having Dash Rendar as leader allows Scoundrel allies to enter the battle with the Prepared effect, rather than having to wait to earn it.
- Even Scoundrels who do not interact with the Prepared mechanic will receive Prepared and gain the bonuses Dash gives them based on their Role.
- Dash’s Grand Arena mode-specific Omicron ability enables allies who lose Prepared to regain it immediately. This helps a Dash Rendar-led Scoundrel squad increase their power level to be similar to a Hero’s Journey or Epic Confrontation-level character in this game mode.
- Shoulder Pads! Er, 19-96 Kinetic Absorption Panels, to be more exact.
- We’re celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Lucasfilm with characters from across the history of the franchise. Dash Rendar was the first character we wanted to do in celebration of that.
- Dash Rendar is the protagonist to 1996’s Shadows of the Empire, a multimedia story from Lucasfilm that included a soundtrack, novel, toys, and a video game on the Nintendo64.
- Dash’s abilities “Stop Right There!” and “Seeker Missiles” are drawn from his abilities in the Shadows of the Empire game.
- One of his most memorable moments in the game was hopping train cars on Ord Mantell to reach IG-88. We very much wanted to pay homage to this level with a new type of environment debuting in his Marquee event (in the Bonus and Legacy Tiers)
- Under a Dash rendar lead, Young Lando Calrissian, Young Han Solo, Vandor Chewbacca, L3-37, Qi’ra all receive additional bonuses when Prepared.
- Bonuses enhance their skills. They also receive Critical Damage and Offense when they gain Prepared. So, it’s evident that losing and gaining Prepared is part of the…plan.
- Dash, as his name indicates, wants to be a very speedy character. Try modding him with that in mind.
- In Grand Arena, having Dash’s allies beginning the battle Prepared, means enemies have to focus on Vandor Chewie from the get-go.
- Who is Dash Rendar?
- In Legends, Dash Rendar is a mercenary who helped out the Rebellion when Han Solo was trapped in carbonite (the time between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).
- His Marquee has a Legacy tier, what is that?
- The Legacy tier is a tier on the Marquee past the Bonus tier meant to reward players who have put immediate investment into these 50th Anniversary units. For Dash’s Marquee you will need him at Five-stars to play the Legacy tier.
- What investment level does Dash Rendar need to be at in order to play the Starkiller event?
- You will need all of the 50th Anniversary marquee units at Relic 5. The Starkiller event is permanent once it begins.