The guys over at Capital Games has posted a new developer insight. This time they are talking with the designers of Dash Rendar. The beloved train-hopping, shoulder-pad adorned hero of legendary lore is ready to lead a motley crew of Scoundrels into the Grand Arena gauntlet!
Below, we take a deep dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this fan-favorite Shadows of the Empire character.
UNIT NAME: Dash Rendar
ALIGNMENT: Light Side
CATEGORIES: Light Side, Support, Leader, Scoundrel
Charismatic Scoundrel Leader who gives Scoundrel allies Prepared.
Basic: FEARLESS ADVANCE
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage 3 times to target enemy. For each critical hit, call another random Prepared ally to assist, dealing 75% less damage (limit once per ally).
Special 1: STOP RIGHT THERE! (Cooldown 2)
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy and dispel all buffs on them. Then, Stun them for 1 turn. This attack deals 20% more damage for each buff dispelled.
Special 2: SEEKER MISSILES (Cooldown 4) – Unlocks at Gear Tier 3
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage 3 times to all enemies. The first instance of damage dispels Stealth and Dazes for 2 turns, the second instance of damage inflicts Defense Down for 2 turns, and the third instance of damage inflicts Critical Damage Down for 2 turns. This attack can’t be evaded or resisted.
Leader: PREPARED FOR ANYTHING
FINAL TEXT (OMICRON): Scoundrel allies enter the battle Prepared, and Prepared allies gain an additional bonus based on their Role, doubled for Light Side Scoundrels. Whenever a Scoundrel ally gains Prepared, they gain Critical Damage Up and Offense Up for 1 turn.
- Attacker: +15% Critical Damage
- Tank: +15% Max Health
- Support or Healer: +10 Speed and 10% Potency
While in Grand Arena: If an ally loses Prepared, they gain Prepared.
FINAL TEXT (ZETA): Scoundrel allies gain 20% Max Health, 20% Potency, and 20% Offense. Whenever a Prepared ally lands a critical hit, all Prepared allies gain 2% Turn Meter.
- Light Side, Support, Leader, Scoundrel
- Dash Rendar plays a key role in the “Prepared” Scoundrel squad, as he helps lift the faction to a new level (especially in Grand Arena once his Omicron is applied).
- His Leader ability, “Prepared for Anything,” gives bonuses to all Prepared Scoundrel allies.
- Dash speeds up a Scoundrel team via his Unique ability, “Hotshot,” which grants Turn Meter to Prepared allies when they land a Critical hit.
- This means Dash’s Special ability “Seeker Missiles” – which hits three times – gains Turn Meter for each Critical hit if he has Prepared. Speedy!
- Having Dash Rendar as leader allows Scoundrel allies to enter the battle with the Prepared effect, rather than having to wait to earn it.
- Even Scoundrels who do not interact with the Prepared mechanic will receive Prepared and gain the bonuses Dash gives them based on their Role.
- Dash’s Grand Arena mode-specific Omicron ability enables allies who lose Prepared to regain it immediately. This helps a Dash Rendar-led Scoundrel squad increase their power level to be similar to a Hero’s Journey or Epic Confrontation-level character in this game mode.
- Shoulder Pads! Er, 19-96 Kinetic Absorption Panels, to be more exact.
- We’re celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Lucasfilm with characters from across the history of the franchise. Dash Rendar was the first character we wanted to do in celebration of that.
- Dash Rendar is the protagonist to 1996’s Shadows of the Empire, a multimedia story from Lucasfilm that included a soundtrack, novel, toys, and a video game on the Nintendo64.
- Dash’s abilities “Stop Right There!” and “Seeker Missiles” are drawn from his abilities in the Shadows of the Empire game.
- One of his most memorable moments in the game was hopping train cars on Ord Mantell to reach IG-88. We very much wanted to pay homage to this level with a new type of environment debuting in his Marquee event (in the Bonus and Legacy Tiers)
- Under a Dash rendar lead, Young Lando Calrissian, Young Han Solo, Vandor Chewbacca, L3-37, Qi’ra all receive additional bonuses when Prepared.
- Bonuses enhance their skills. They also receive Critical Damage and Offense when they gain Prepared. So, it’s evident that losing and gaining Prepared is part of the…plan.
- Dash, as his name indicates, wants to be a very speedy character. Try modding him with that in mind.
- In Grand Arena, having Dash’s allies beginning the battle Prepared, means enemies have to focus on Vandor Chewie from the get-go.
- Who is Dash Rendar?
- In Legends, Dash Rendar is a mercenary who helped out the Rebellion when Han Solo was trapped in carbonite (the time between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).
- His Marquee has a Legacy tier, what is that?
- What investment level does Dash Rendar need to be at in order to play the Starkiller event?
- You will need all of the 50th Anniversary marquee units at Relic 5. The Starkiller event is permanent once it begins.