Below, we take a dive into the developers’ motivations and inspirations while creating the kit for this fan-favorite Star Wars: Jedi Knight and Dark Forces character.
Basic: THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy twice. If it’s Kyle Katarn’s turn, inflict Ability Block for 1 turn; otherwise, deal damage a third time.
Special 1: JUST A GUY WITH A LIGHTSABER (Cooldown 3)
FINAL TEXT: Deal Physical damage to target enemy twice. If the target has Force Influence, the second instance of damage deals 75% more damage. All allies gain Critical Chance Up and Potency Up for 2 turns.
Jedi Knight: The first instance of damage deals 75% more damage; all Rebel Fighter allies recover 50% Health and Protection
Special 2: POWER OF THE VALLEY (Cooldown 3)
FINAL TEXT (ZETA): Dispel all debuffs on Rebel Fighter allies. Rebel Fighter allies gain Defense Up and Speed Up for 2 turns. Deal Physical damage to all enemies and inflict Force Influence on target enemy for 2 turns, which can’t be copied.
Jedi Knight: Inflict Force Influence on all enemies for 2 turns
Force Influence: Can’t assist, counter attack, or gain buffs (raid bosses and Galactic Legends: -30% Counter chance.)
Unique: BLUE MILK RUN
FINAL TEXT (OMICRON): At the start of each encounter, Kyle Katarn gains 10% Turn Meter for each other Rebel Fighter ally.
Whenever a Rebel Fighter ally attacks out of turn, they gain 12% Offense (stacking, max 60%) until the end of their next turn.
Whenever Kyle Katarn attacks out of turn, he gains a stack of Force Connection until the end of battle, which can’t be copied, dispelled, or prevented (stacking, max 10 stacks).
When Kyle Katarn reaches 10 stacks of Force Connection, he resets his cooldowns, loses all stacks of Force Connection, and gains Jedi Knight until the end of the battle which can’t be copied, dispelled, or prevented.
At the start of the encounter, if the enemy leader is a Sith, Rebel Fighter allies have +50% Defense and Tenacity, and +25% Max Health until the end of the encounter.
Force Connection:+2% Defense and Offense
While in Territory Battles: Enemies can’t gain bonus Turn Meter and Force Influence can’t be resisted. When Kyle Katarn attacks out of turn, he gains an additional stack of Force Connection, and the bonuses of Jedi Knight also apply to other Jedi allies. At the start of each encounter, all Jedi and Rebel Fighter allies gain 75% bonus Protection until the end of the encounter. At the start of each encounter, Kyle Katarn gains 10% Turn Meter for each other Jedi ally.
- Light Side, Attacker, Rebel, Rebel Fighter, Jedi
- Kyle Katarn is a utility-based attacker that synergizes strongly with Rebel Fighters
- His mode-specific Omicron ability gives his squad extra utility in Territory Battles
- Kyle has an incredible presence in the Territory Battle gamemode. His unique ability “Blue Milk Run” gives a slew of powerful buffs to help you complete the most difficult missions, including:
- Bonus Protection at the start of every encounter
- Preventing all bonus Turn Meter gain for enemies
- Bonuses work with both Rebel Fighter and Jedi allies
- Kyle Katarn adds three new status effects to the game: Jedi Knight, Force Connection, and Force Influence. See Kyle Katarn’s kit reveal for more info.
- The core inspiration of this kit is centered on capturing the feel of playing Kyle Katarn in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. As your connection to the Force grows, the more powerful you become.
- Kyle’s Basic ability, “This Should Be Interesting,” is inspired by his use of both blasters and lightsabers. We of course went with his most signature weapon, the Bryar pistol, for this attack.
- Kyle’s Special ability, “Just a Guy With a Lightsaber,” is inspired by the crazy lightsaber combat in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. We pay homage to the back flip and lightsaber throw Kyle could pull off in that game with this ability.
- Kyle’s Special ability, “Power of the Valley,” is an ode to many of his Force abilities. While we couldn’t fit them all in! We did try to put as many as we could, however.
- We’d be remiss if we made a Kyle Katarn kit without mentioning “Blue Milk Run.” His Unique ability has callouts to his fight against the Dark Side and contains his growing connection to the Force until he is a fully-realized Jedi Knight.
- Kyle has several call outs to Rebel Fighters which references his time spent fighting for the Rebel Alliance. He also pairs well with Jedi characters in Territory Battles – an homage to his Jedi heritage and training.
- We wanted the character to feel like he really had “leveled up” the way he does in other games, so when he attains “Jedi Knight” both his Special abilities gain powerful bonus effects.
- Kyle Katarn is expected to work well in a Rebel Fighter squad that includes Mon Mothma, Pao, Hoth Rebel Scout, and Cara Dune.
- When facing off against Empire teams, try switching Pao for Biggs Darklighter.
- Kyle’s bonus Turn Meter for every Rebel Fighter will allow you to choose from three different powerful starts: Ability Blocking a specific enemy, giving your team Potency and Critical Chance Up (which pairs perfectly with Cara Dune’s Unique), or giving your team Defense and Speed Up while inflicting Force Influence on a specific enemy.
- Try to call Kyle Katarn to assist often to achieve “Jedi Knight” as soon as possible.
- Place Kyle Katarn with a Mon Mothma-led team or a Jedi team that can call him to assist frequently in Territory Battles.
- Who is Kyle Katarn?
- He’s a Jedi. Why is his relic icon a pistol and not a lightsaber?
- Kyle is reconnecting with the force in this version of the character, and his Bryar pistol is the signature weapon you start the game with.
- What are the requirements and rewards for the Legacy tier in his marquee?