The Legacy Presentation was one of the most important parts of the Guild Summit. This is because we learned that what is currently just a pretty bar was actually intended to be the very lifeforce of the entire game!
The Legacy System will be intertwined in everything else that happens in the game. It will affect each system of the game and the wait is almost over!
The devs explain that they were sad to have to launch SWTOR without the fully working Legacy System in place but they had to pull it back to get the finishing touches on it. Now it’s finally nearing completion and ready for us all to experience. It’s a labor of love and they are hoping we will love it!
Here are the highlights of what the full Legacy System will bring us:
- Family tree: decide your allies, kids, wives/husbands – its super cool roleplaying.
- Legacy species/class unlocks
- Reach level 50 with a species, you can unlock it on all classes on both factions – i.e. your “father” can be a sith and you can be a jedi.
- Reach level 50 with a human race – gain presence stat on all your characters.
- Cyborgs – individual classes have their own individual cyborg attachments – you can now unlock all of them and be an uber cyborg.
- Complete Chapter 2 story– unlock class emotes – unlock current class buff for all other legacy characters
- Complete Chapter 3 – unlock heroic abilities for all your Legacy chars – these new heroic abilities will require companions to use the heroic moment abilities you have right now. It will also use your heroic moment ability.
- Example of heroic ability: Force choke from Sith Warrior on all your alts if you complete Sith Warrior to Chapter 3.
- Completing a companion character – reach max affection with any one type (i.e. healer) of companion character and gain a shorter cooldown on heroic abilities – unlock a small stat boost. Additional presence buff for max affections with additional companions of the same type.
- Alignment abilities: Reach level 50 and gain dark/light or neutral alignment – unlock active abilities for all Legacy characters. Not all rewards are combat.
- Valor rank unlocks – unarmed duels – unarmed combat moves can be unlocked with valor system. Also fun for RPing or just for goofing around.
- Social rank unlocks – Dance with your companions, new emotes (RP packages – big package of RP emotes).
- Most Legacy rewards can be purchased or unlocked – people with millions of credits can buy these rather than “unlock” them – some of the rewards are not initially purchasable but will be allowed in another patch.
- We want to reward people who just play 1 character instead of going with alts – hence the purchase route.
- Cooldown reductions for Emergency Fleet Pass/Quick Travel.
- Jetpack/Rocketboots – short duration sprint – we moved to sprint to level 1. Jetpack for BHs, rocket boots for everyone else.
Items for your ship (this was a very popular announcement) – training dummies (operation, warzone dummies, healing dummies), repair droid (buy, repair, and sell upgrades for your ship droids that improves specific crafting abilities), mailboxes, auction houses (neutral GTN terminal but very, very high up the legacy system – we want fleet to be populated it requires a lot of legacy level and a lot of credits).
Legacy Weapons and Armor – you will get drops that are bound to your Legacy System – “bind on legacy” – can’t trade with others. These do not scale.
Legacy appearances – orange gear only unlocked with Legacy stuff.
Customizing your alt experience: if you just want to PvP with an alt, you can purchase a PvP XP buff for this alt. If you like to purchase speeder earlier, you can buy something for a specific alt.
HUGE REWARDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE LEGACY SYSTEM.
1.2 and 1.3 are huge Legacy patches.
Q&A of Legacy System
Q: Can I transfer an alt from a different server?
A: Yes when the ability to transfer servers come, which is not in the immediate future – these alts will melt together and you will get higher of the two legacy.
Q: Can I share Legacy with other players? (Such as marrying another player or making that player your brother)
A: It is a one of our dev’s biggest pet projects – we do not have a plan where we know how to make that yet but we have a lot of hopes for it.
Q: Can you use Force Choke on the Republic side?
Q: Can you change the race of a previous alt?
A: No, you need to make a new alt.
Q: Any plans to allow characters to use weapons not intended for their class? More like cosmetic weapons
A: We will address that in heroic abilities – iconic abilities but not permanent weapon change. This might be a possibility in future legacy development.
Q: I want Barbershop; can I get them with Legacy? Unlock more cosmetic slots? Some players level up a character and then get tired of looking at the same thing.
A: That is something in the works but something you won’t be able to see for a while.
Q: Alt: those buffs from other classes, are those self-only or apply to all groups? Does that mean we don’t need to bring a specific class for ops/warzones?
Q: Shared bank between your alts?
A: Legacy bank is on the table – it’s behind guild bank. We are pro-legacy bank. In 1.2, we will allow you to send cross-faction mails.
Q: More character slots? (yes, yes!)
A: No plans at the moment but suggestion is noted.
Q: Class quests are unique but stuff like planetary quests are not; can we bypass them?
A: Yes, we will give you specific buffs that rewards for doing specific activities
Q: Will buffs from different factions stack? i.e. will Sith warrior and Jedi knight stack?
A: They won’t stack but you can use them cross-faction.
Q: Endgame flashpoint/operation loots being bind to Legacy?
A: No current plans – there is an inherent flexibility with able to extract mods/crafting.
Q: Dual spec?
A: More than dual spec, multi-spec is coming. It is tied to the legacy system. Not coming with 1.2 – at first we will allow you to save different specs but in later patches you can save gear layouts.
Q: Name/Legacy System?
A: We don’t have the system in place right now, maybe something in the works soon.
Q: Maximum Legacy level?
A: “Get out more!” The cap is 50 right now. That could possibly change.
Q: Any plan to give some sort of crafting advantage through the legacy system?
A: We love it but balancing issues? We want crafting to be more boe and less bop. Not in 1.2 but with 1.2 the shop droids have specific cores you can purchase from the repair droid that improve specific crafting skills. You can also purchase something that mutes the droid (audience was super excited about this one!)
Q: Can you put your companions into your family tree?
A: Not right now.
Q: Cosmetic ship upgrades from Legacy?
A: Yes cosmetic ship upgrades but may not be tied to legacy. It’s quite a ways down the road.
Q: How can an agent use a force ability? (According to story/lore)
A: Force using potential goes strong in your family line – we were all over that.
Q: How will heroic moment abilities affect open world PvP where companions can be used?
Right now, you can do it and that is all I can say about that. Open world PvP is the wild west – anything is possible. Objective-based areas like Ilum
do not allow companions. Maybe you can solo your flashpoints with companions using heroic abilities.
As guild leaders, we were all very excited about the Legacy system- with a few exceptions. There are some guilds that are frustrated over these changes that encourage players to play alts of the other faction in order to reap the Legacy rewards. They said it is tearing their guild apart and causing people to split. More on this later.